Bioburden Test for Creams/Lotions

Davin C. Enigl enigl at
Wed Mar 20 09:03:14 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:20:22 GMT, Neal Machtiger
<nmachtiger at> wrote:

>Such methods are widely published and readily available.
>Try the microbiology manual at,

CTFA is a good organization, but the methods should still be USP if
the tests are for regulatory purposes in the US.  Other wise any ctfa
method is worth a try but should eb used with causion.  For instance
in one of my article I wrote with Don Orth (Neutrogena), we compared
the CTFA vs. USP, vs. the D-value method for preservative efficacy --
all reqiire count data methods.

> the FDA Bacteriological
>Analytical Manual,

There are few methods for cosmetics in this manual, if any -- the
manual is basically for food prodiucts.  I don't think the Preparatory
test is in there, for instance.

> or the FDA web site-

They just refer you to the USP, via CRF 21.