How animals in the hydrothermal vent can live with the high temperature.

Davin C. Enigl enigl at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 15:25:28 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:34:17 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
<jsilver at merseia.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Well, IIRC the pressure increases by 1 atmosphere for every 33 feet (I'm
>too old to think metric right now :-)

Me too, as you probably noticed.

>so it's about 1000 atmospheres
>(14000 psi) at the bottom of the deepest trench.

Ok, that is interesting.

>Are you the guy who published that study of bacteria surviving in a
>diamond anvil?

No.  We might not have published this, at least, I was not ask to be a
author on this one and I usually am asked to do so if we publish.  We
were trying to find a non-heat method for sterilizing heat-sensitive
liquids (pharmaceuticals and foods).

> It was quite widely reported here and the reports were
>saying the pressure was equivalent to many kilometres depth of the
>Earth's crust - or Europan ice. Amazing.

Yes, I seem to bemember  that method, but we could not use it with our
liquids.  We used a specially modified French Press. The maximum we
could get was supposedly 120,000 psi, but I don't think we tried
beyond 105,000psi -- as I recall, at least not while I was on the
project.   We *did* get a measurable kill if the pressure was released
suddenly.

--------