2 questions replys needed

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Sun Nov 10 00:34:31 EST 2002

Auntie - I think we discussed this before. It is spelled MYCOBACTERIA
not Microbacteria. This is important if you want to look up anything
about the organism.

A common environmental saprophyte is found in the environment - it means
that it probably is not causing an infection and may be a contaminant of
the culture.

If your smears were positive for acid fast bacteria, a doctor is going
to begin treatment even before he knows which mycobacterium he is
treating. M. tuberculosis and M. chelonei can look the same on a
microscope slide, and the organisms can take weeks to grow. They're not
going to take the chance of you spreading TB around while they're
waiting for a culture to grow.

As far as treatment with negative cultures, what do your physicians say?
Without knowing the sequence of events, it's hard to comment on your
report or question.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology