The Drug DNP

Eric R. Hugo eric.hugo at uc.edu
Fri Oct 11 23:12:05 EST 2002

DNP is an electron transport uncoupler.  It wipes out the H+ gradient
across the mt inner membrane thus preventing ATP synthesis.  Instead all
the energy the cell has extracted from glucose, fatty acids, etc. is
released as heat.  This is the same principle as what occurs in brown fat
which is found in infants.  In the case of brown fat the cells make a
special protein to uncouple electron transport.
Eric

"Carlos V" <srcarlosvelez at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:aR8p9.33106$0o4.9827 at sccrnsc03: