The Drug DNP

ash at umich.edu ash at umich.edu
Sat Oct 12 22:54:53 EST 2002

Carlos V <srcarlosvelez at hotmail.com> wrote:
: This question might be a little out of the ball park for this group, but I
: thought I would give it a shot.
: I'm trying to do a research project on the drug DNP (Dinitrophenols) that
: was perscribed in the '30s and '40s for weight loss.
: This durg makes the mitochondrial membrames leaky to hydrogen ions.  (Not
: being a biology major, I have to ask)  Why would a leaky mitochondrial
: membrane cause weight loss?  Would that speed up the ATP production?

: What were the effects of this drug?

"The amount of dinitrophenols ingested that causes harmful
effects varies among people. Increased basal metabolic rate (the
rate that you use energy at complete rest), increased sweating, a
feeling of warmth, weight loss, and increased heart rate,
breathing rate, and body temperature have been observed in
people who swallowed as little as 1 mg/kg/day or as much as 46
mg/kg/day for short or long periods of time."

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts64.html

-ash