Dirty sex and microbes....

Perplexed comps.etc at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 19 23:01:18 EST 2003

naimhling at aol.com (Naimhling) wrote in message news:<20030124084623.05338.00000080 at mb-ff.aol.com>...
> Dang! Now that I have your attention....
>
> Somebody has to have seen this before; concentric ring patterns seen on
> isolated circular colonies of common molds such members of Cladosporia,
> Penicillia, etc?
>
> The colonies grow in a fashion that leaves distinct concentric rings (see the
> photograph at http://members.aol.com/naimhling/ceilingrings.jpg).  What are the
> factors influencing the formation of the rings?
>
> C'mon....SOMEBODY knows the answer.  (A bottle of Jameson goes to the best
> response that addresses the question.)
>
> Caoimhín

I've been working with yeast and moulds from air plates as part of my
job for a water company. The colonies with concentric rings of
different colours only seem to grow when there are few competing
colonies on the same plate and the surrounding air is fairly dry. I
have also seen small colourless crystals crowning some of these
colonies.

I like to think that the reason they appear is purely to keep us poor
microbiologists from going insane by giving us the occasional pretty
"jewel" to look at. ;-) (and to make up for the smell!)

Of course, if anyone knows of a more scientific answer, I'd love to
know too.;-)