weird bacteria

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 28 07:49:41 EST 2003

newshound007 wrote:
> trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no (Trond Erik Vee Aune)
> wrote in sci.bio.microbiology in <3E5F1556.7040703
> @biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no> :
>

>>When I streak the bacteria I only streak it at about one fifth of the
>>total area of the plate. The colonies are showing up in the vicinity of
>>where I have streaked, up to 1.5 cm away.
>

> Solunds like hot loop "agar pop" to me.

You mean that the loop is so hot that agar splatters around and spreads
bacteria? No, this can't be the reason.

What I do is sterilize the loop in flame. Then I cool it by sticking it
down into the agar at the plate from where I take the inoculum. After it
is cooled down I scoop up some of the bacteria and gently smear them on
the new plate.

Trond Erik