MRSA multiple choice question

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 21:23:29 EST 2003

in article 69c2c721.0311112019.14722749 at posting.google.com, TimGoogler at
beagles_1881 at yahoo.com.au wrote on 11/11/03 11:19 PM:

> I just finished a 3rd year Nursing exam of which one of the questions were:
> If a person comes in contact with MRSA, how long will the MRSA bacteria live
> on their skin?
> a) 1 hour
> b) 3 hours
> c) 7 hours
> d) 24 hours
>
> My understanding was that MRSA lived for a long period, hence most correct
> answer would be 'D'. But no one in my class knows the answer & lecturers won't
> help. I've tried researching but all the MRSA sites don't appear to mention
> this specific issue.
> Help greatly appreciated.
> -tg

MRSA is not really any different than any other Staph aureus, just more
resistant to antibiotics.  How long will normal Staph aureus live on your
skin?
John Gentile MS M(ASCP)                     yjgent at cox.net
Laboratory Information, QA Manager
VA Medical Center
Providence, RI

The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the Government or VA.