Winogradsky column - how to get a really pretty result

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at
Fri Feb 6 08:43:39 EST 2004

I'm thinking about making my own Winogradsky column to place in a window
sill at home. I hope to get it really beautiful so it's more a piece of
art than "work taken home". My questions are:

- How do I maximise the numbers of colors I get?
- Can it be completely anaerobic? (I don't want it to smell.)
- When should I inoculate it? Is it better to do it in the summer than
in the winter?
- Is there anything else I can do to make my visiting friends really
like it?

Trond Erik

Trond Erik Vee Aune
Department of Biotechnology