Exceptions of living things NOT composed of cells?

Larry D. Farrell farrlarr at isu.edu
Mon Jan 26 18:28:30 EST 2004

Des O'Connor wrote:

> "Mark" <nospam at nspam.com> wrote in message
> news:6JdRb.520$X2.32765 at news.tufts.edu...
> > Larry D. Farrell wrote:

> > > However, none of these are capable of replicating independtly of other
> > > organisms, which is pretty much a requirement for "life" as it is
> > > generally defined.  (Note, of course, that most eukaryotes need another
> > > organism in the form of a mate to initiate the process of replication
> but,
> > > once begun, the process does not depend specifically on the other
> organism
> > > providing on-going functions for the process to continue to completion.)
> > > Viruses and viroids are essentially inert unless placed into (or at
> least
> > > in very close proximity to) host cells that provide the essential
> > > functions and materials needed for replication, while prions produce
> > > copies of themselves only if provided with properly folded copies of the
> > > prion protein, usually provided by living host cells.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
> > > Professor of Microbiology
> > > Idaho State University
> > >

> > Of course, we start to get into muddy water with this kind of definition
> > when we consider endosymbiotic bacteria such as Buchnera, which I think
> > (I might be wrong) is an obligate symbiont - can't live independently of
> > the host (aphids in this case). I sometimes wonder if this is really all
> > that different to a virus - both seem to grow and reproduce, but only
> > given a cellular environment to do it in. Someone was suggested to me
> > that the cellular environment that is so essential to these creatures
> > might be analogous to the terrestrial environment that we depend upon -
> > once outside of it we are not all that good at reproducing or surviving.
> > Not too sure about that myself though. Thoughts?
> >
> > mark
> >

> Hi Tom
>
> This really is a wonderfull topic for a budding Biologist to  put some
> serious effort into the study of. Id
> encourage a lot or reading and thinking around this question as you will the
> encounter many concepts
> relating to  the majority or core biological areas. An endless feast of
> science no less. I seem to remeber the
> topic has been addressed several times  in Scientific American and New
> Scientist.
>
> One interesting approach might be to look at the topic from an ecological
> point of view rather than pure a biochemcial/structural/molecular
> viewpoint.
>
> At one time I personally considered the  cell  was ''Natures's Wheel''  and
> anything not bounded by a functional membrane
> did not qualify as life , these days Im not so certain. I think we would all
> be interested to know what conclusion you come to
> after diving into this area.
>
> Best Des
>
> I wish you luck and joy on your graduate course.

Mark's post hasn't showed up yet on my server so I am piggybacking on Des's post
to respond to Mark.

With the "obligate symbionts," the issue is simply that we have not yet defined
an artifical medium/environment that will allow them to grow without their
hosts.  However, there is almost certainly such a set of conditions that would
allow the to grow independently.  For viruses and viroids, we may actually get
to something of the same thing one day, when we can construct an artificial
cell, but the bottom line is that the virus/viroid still cannot replicate
without the help of some sort of host, whether natural or artificial.

I do agree with Des that this is an excellent discussion topic, and there are
folks that come down on both sides of the "living" argument.  My position is
pretty obvious above.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology