what was the murderer?
nospam at for.me
Sat Apr 30 12:25:22 EST 2005
big_george_lake at yahoo.com wrote:
> A friend fed his dogs some raw hamburger meat
> that had been in the refrigerator for over a month.
> All died within 10 hours. We wish to know a guess
> of what specific species (or family) of bacteria might
> cause such toxic reactions.
> Thank you for your ideas!
Carnivores are relatively resistant to enteric pathogens (prey meat in
nature is rarely refrigerated) so "over a month", while probably unfit
for human consumption, is not necessarily toxic to the dog. Symptoms
could provide a clue but botulism comes to mind (flacid paralysis).
Although Listeria is one of the few bacteria that will grow at 4 degrees
Celsius, canine infections are, as much as I know, extremely rare and
certainly not lethal.
More information about the Microbio