[Microbiology] Re: Spectro for growth curves

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Mon Jul 4 09:36:39 EST 2005

"Scott Coutts" <scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au> wrote in message
news:2e9ye.14146$oJ.6907 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help. I've discovered a few systems, several from Thermo,
> several from Cecil, and one or two from Beckman. Most of them take samples
> from either a custom vessel that comes with the instrument (these are
> often actually designed for pharmaceutical tablet dissolution monitoring)
> or a user-supplied vessel. Others use a probe that can be inserted into
> any vessel. The best I've seen is a stirred, temperature controlled
> (peltier) cuvette that fits inside the spec.

I have, in the past, used flow through cuvettes one a pump, so that the
culture sample is returned to the mail vessel after reading. Our problem was
that the dissolved oxygen in the tubes and cuvette fell off rapidly, so that
we could never be sure that the culture was as aerobic as we wanted.
Lesley Robertson
http://www.beijerinck.bt.tudelft.nl
http://kuenen.bt.tudelft.nl