Brown E.coli

JEDilworth bactitech at
Sat May 21 11:10:34 EST 2005

Years ago (70's) I recall having an E. coli that was extremely mucoid
that produced huge zones on a Kirby Bauer plate (for the sensitive
drugs). It was from a renal patient and was not typical at all. Renal
patients tend to have very atypical strains of everything because
they're treated so much.

I don't remember if it was brown. I have seen Pseudomonas aeruginosa
that was brownish red, however. Was the organism oxidase positive? I
would check that if I had it on a patient's culture plate.

I assume you're doing some sort of further testing/research to elucidate
a particular strain of EC. Clinical labs don't go that far, and I'm
sorry if I'm uneducated in that area.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)

news:d6f81c$rei$1 at