[Microbiology] Re: Lactobacilli classification based on colony morphology

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Thu Apr 27 03:33:32 EST 2006

<janakvid at une.edu.au> wrote in message
news:mailman.726.1146062927.16885.microbio at net.bio.net...
> Hi,
>
> My name is Janak and I'm a PhD student studying at University of New
> England. I would very much appreciate if you could let me know the
> procedure that I could use to classify the lactobacilli bsed on colony
> morphology.

It can't be done on colony morphology alone. Not only do they all look
alike, but they also look like other species.
I suggest that you get a copy of Bergey's Manual or the Prokaryotes and take
a look at identification procedures there - if you wnat to be certain what
you have, you need to do everything from cell morphology and gram reaction
to 16s RNA analysis. For some tests, you can use commercial identification
packs such as those made by API.
Lesley Robertson