[Microbiology] Re: methylene blue milk

N10 limbic_lesion at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 04:17:23 EST 2006

HI

The MB test is an old method used to  to assess quality of milk. It is a dye
reduction test where in a fixed aliqout of milk was incubated  with a MB
solution. Reduction of the blue color or not within a fixed time  gave a "
gun shot"  indication of  general microbial loading. It was usually
performed  as part of a  suite of tests with such media as the Croslley Milk
medium and peillicle assay for  anaerobes and "bitty cream" formers.

Such tests were superseeded by more accurate specific and quatatative assays
in the Dairy Industry many years ago. I beleive ISO BS and FDA stndards
exist  which describe current best practise for the examination of Diary
products.

Theoretically The MB test could be made  relatively selective for  Group D
strepps  perhapes by inclusion of Kanamyciene and Aesculin in the
formualtion and with incubation at 44'c but its hardly worth it as so many
more suitable  microbiological media are avialableof the shelf these day.

Good luck

N10

news:kIKdnbv-TrzKOEPZnZ2dnUVZ_u-dnZ2d at buckeye-express.com...