[Microbiology] Re: enumeration of non-cultureable bacteria

biovirus04 at gmail.com biovirus04 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 12:29:23 EST 2006

gholamreza ahmadian wrote:
> Hello all!
> Does anybody know how we can enumerate non-cultureable but viable bacteria (E.Coli) in the sea water
>  to check environmental contamination? your answer will be really useful for me and I appreciate it.
> Reza

Reza,

You could plate your sample (or dilutions of it) on EMB (eosin
methylene blue) agar.  This particular agar is specialized for
detecting E. coli.  On these plates, E. coli takes on a green, metallic
sheen.  So, you'd count the colonies that appeared this way, and ignore
anything else that might grow up.

Any other ideas out there?

--Alex