[Microbiology] Re: Camp test form primary culture

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Sun Aug 20 15:52:25 EST 2006

Hippurate is the way to go. We used to use this years ago. I know you can
buy the Hippurate test commercially.

http://tinyurl.com/pe6as

http://www.gibsonlabs.com/hiptech.htm

http://www.bd.com/ds/technicalCenter/inserts/L007505.pdf#search=%22sodium%20hippurate%22

http://www.quelab.com/htmleng/2833a.html

http://www.texascollaborative.org/jones_strep/pj_act1-3.htm

Hippurate is much better for identification of Group B strep than the CAMP
test (see first reference). Strep grouping is the best of all, however. If
you're dealing with identification of pregnant women carrying the organism,
the grouping is the best way to go. Our lab is using molecular screening now
for pregant women, which is more sensitive than culture. It depends on what
you're using the test for. The hippurate test we're using currently requires
a two hour incubation of a heavy suspension of the organism in a 35 degree
heat block. Then you add the ninhydrin reagent and incubate another 30
minutes, checking at 10 minute intervals. It will usually go positive in the
first ten minutes.

Group B is also resistant to a commercially available "A" disc (bacitracin)
and sensitive to the antibiotic trimethoprim sulfa (SXT). These discs are
also available commercially. We used to just streak them onto blood agar and
drop the two discs, incubate overnight. No zone around "A" and zone around
SXT = Group B. The organism had to be beta hemolytic on blood to begin with.
Sometimes, however, we would get a small zone around the A and we would have
to resort to serogrouping.

These methods are all used upon subculture of the suspect colony, not on
primary plates.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology

news:mailman.683.1156100381.20007.microbio at net.bio.net...