[Microbiology] Mussels Vitellogenin Endocrine Disruption

Ray kinney kennyr at casco.net
Tue Sep 5 09:54:36 EST 2006

Hi Martin,
   I ran into your post ('99) re: vitellogenin in mussels and endocrine disruption.
   I'm using river mussels from low-calcium waters as biomonitors for Pb, Cd, and MeHg. I have recently seen new research on endocrine function effects of dietary exposure
to MeHg in fish. Vitellogenin gene expression was affected via gene expression changes. (Klaper, et al '06).
   I'm looking for info that may relate to mussel health and decline in salmon freshwater habitat in Oregon. MeHg is one contaminant that is showing up in addition to Pb and Cd. These metals are inhibitors of Ca utilization and may be part of the shell degradation to perforation stage with subsequent early mortality of all age classes.
  Are you still working with vitellogenesis and mussels?
Ray Kinney
Siuslaw River Mussel Study