[Microbiology] how to get the Bergey's short index for multiple species

Tõnu Margus tmargus at ebc.ee
Wed Sep 6 07:50:45 EST 2006

Dear microbiologists,

My question belongs more to the filed of systematics than to microbiology,
but may be you can help.

The question is, How to get/fetch Berge’s short index (like B12.3.13.1.13)
for specified bacterial species?

I know that for Escherichia coli the short index is B12.3.13.1.13  what you
can look from the book like “Taxonomic Outline of the Prokaryotes   Bergey’s
Manual of Systematic Bacteriology
” and that is ok, if you had a only small
amount of species, but when you need to find out index short format for
thousands of species, then it takes too much time.

I am interested, is there some web page, where you can paste you bacteria
name like “Escherichia coli” and get the corresponding short index or even
better process multiple names with one query?

Thanks in advance

Tonu Margus

Tonu Margus

Department of Bioinformatics