[Microbiology] Re: Petroleum Bio-Augmentation

mkmicrobio sking24 at wi.rr.com
Fri Sep 15 08:52:45 EST 2006

I should rephrase the Bacillus rare part.  Of course Bacillus are not
rare, but rather Bacillus that are the initial petroleum hydrocarbon
degraders (rather than secondary) are harder to come by.  My group and
I have isolated strains that degrade these hydrocarbons, but it is a
little tricky and you have to look for Bacillus that have more than
just hydrocarbon degrading capabilities.  However, always remember it
also takes a special kind of Bacillus if you are dosing close to
clarification systems or you can cause havoc.  Sorry for any confusion.

Mike