[Microbiology] How to distinguish green filamentious algae and blue-green filamentous algae

villandra via microbio%40net.bio.net (by villandra from gmail.com)
Fri Dec 26 11:11:49 EST 2008

How do you tell filamentous green algae and filamentous blue-green
algae apart?  On line I can find only that others have asked that
question.   The only answer I found is with a DNA test.   Very funny.
Like, I am equipped to look through a microscope and see how many
loops or whatever in the DNA.    If I understand correctly commercial
food grade spirogyra jumped from green to blue-green algae, and the
decision does not appear to ahve been based on a DNA test, whatever it
was based on.

I've seen a number of authoritative claims that spirogyra is green
algae adn blue-green algae.  Conceivably it depends on whether one is
talking about spirogyra or teh food product called spirogyra.
Apparently those two species were originally considered spirogyra but
now have their own clade, Arthrospira, and are now considered blue-
green algae, even by those who consider spirogyra to be green
algae.

How did Arthospira jump to a new phylum and leave its parent clade
behind?

How are blue-green filamentious algae and green filamentious algae
distinguished?   None in my diagrams and none that I'm seeing under
the microscope ahve nucleii, if that's how I'm supposed to be able to
tell blue-green algae and green algae apart.   They look pretty
similar under a microscope.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX