[Microbiology] Re: Reference

John Gentile via microbio%40net.bio.net (by yjgent from nospamcox.net)
Sat May 17 20:26:54 EST 2008

On 2008-05-16 16:04:25 -0400, senaatlaw Atlaw Woldeyohanes
<senaatlaw from yahoo.com> said:

> Dear Sir,
>   I have isolated a Microorganism, Gram-negative Coccobacillus
>   Streaked it on MacConkey agar, pink colonies started to grow before
> eight hours.
>   Today after 24 hrs, it is Lactose fermenting, good pink colonies,
>   and is Oxidase positive too, I thought it would be from
> Enterobactericeae, but it is rare to be Oxidase positive or unless one
> of the rare ?
>   I only have the basic id. Material, and I am going to send it for
> identification to another Lab.
>   But I am so curious what can it be, I try to find out on my
> Diagnostic Microbiol. Book, nothing matches at this moment I may have
> to see more.
>    Mac, Positive and Oxidase positive, if there is some common
> microorganism which matches this or a good reference, would you please
> let me know.
>   Thanks
>   Regards

We're going to need a bit more information. Is this a human isolate,
animal or environmental? Did you do basic id media like TSI, Urea,
motility, Indole? Are you sure it is a pure isolate?

Make sure you streak for isolation, select a single colony. Is your
oxidase reagent fresh?

I know of only one human isolate that could (<3%) be lactose pos and
oxidase pos. Also be careful about your Gram's stain morphology.

John Gentile MS, M(ASCP)
Laboratory Information Mgr.
VA Medical Center
Providence, RI