[Microbiology] extracting compounds from agar plates

Pep Charusanti via microbio%40net.bio.net (by pcharusa from bioeng.ucsd.edu)
Mon May 19 13:02:16 EST 2008

Hello everybody,

Does anybody have a protocol on how to extract compounds from agar?  I am
growing bacteria on plates and they are secreting compounds (probably
metabolites) into the agar that I would like to isolate.  I tried growth
in liquid culture, but by HPLC analysis of the supernatant I know this
does not lead to production of the compounds I'm interested in.