[Microbiology] Re: acetobacter xylinum - where can I get it?

John Gentile via microbio%40net.bio.net (by yjgent from nospamcox.net)
Tue Nov 10 20:21:04 EST 2009

On 2009-11-10 10:30:15 -0500, <H.Steen-Thornhammar from lse.ac.uk> said:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Hannes Steen Thornhammar and I am student at the London
> School of Economics. I am currently rsearching topics in sustainable
> futures and came across your name in regards to acetobacter xylinum.
> Would you be able to tell me how I can actually attain samples of the
> bacteria. Can I grow it myself? Can I buy it in the UK, London?
>
> Your assisstance in this matter would be greatly appreciated
>
> Best,
>
> Hannes

> communications disclaimer:
> http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/secretariat/legal/disclaimer.htm

Are you studying bacteriology or economics? Do you have any experience
in handling bacteria? Do you have access to laboratory facilities that
will allow you to manage a bacterial culture? Do you have a professor
who is mentoring you?

Handling bacteria can be a very dangerous proposition if not done
properly. Even so called non-pathogenic bacteria can cause some kind of
havoc if it gets into the wrong place.

There are places where you can purchase bacterial stocks, but you have
to be associated with a certified laboratory or educational facility
with proper labs to handle it. How are you planning to pay for it?

Lots of questions, hope you have a plan.
--
John Gentile MS, M(ASCP)
Laboratory Information Mgr.