Review articles?

Dave Hiebeler hiebeler at turing.cs.rpi.edu
Mon Nov 26 22:00:46 EST 1990

  I apologize if this is an embarassingly naive question, or an
inappropriate place to ask it.

  Could anyone suggest any fairly recent review articles (or good
books) about molecular evolution?  I'm in computer science, so
something that doesn't go *too* far off into bio-jargon would be good,
although I don't want something watered down so much that it's
uninformative.

  I've read the book "Hemoglobin: Structure, Function, Evolution, and
Pathology" by Dickerson and Geis, (Benjamin/Cummings Publishing,
1983), which devotes one chapter to the comparison of globin sequences
and the construction of phylogenetic trees.  Now I'd like to read some
more on this subject.

  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm planning to write up a
paper on this soon for an independent-study course I'm taking, so
review articles would be preferred on the short-term time scale, but
after I'm done with that, I'd like to take some more time to read
something more in depth, so good books might be better for the
long-term.  :-)

Dave Hiebeler                           | Internet: hiebeler at turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept., Amos Eaton Bldg.|           hiebeler at t13.lanl.gov
RPI                                     | Bitnet: userF3JL at rpitsmts
Troy, NY 12180-3590                     |