Curious Gram +ve

HIDEW at SIMSC.bitnet HIDEW at SIMSC.bitnet
Wed Dec 4 23:00:00 EST 1991

I refer to a recentI refer to a communication from Andreas Phal:
"I cloned and sequenced a protein from a gram-positive bacteria (streptomycete)
nd
much more homology to yeast, fungi and mammalians than to E.coli. So my question

is, what may be the reason for this?

The protein is highly conserved from human down to yeast (about 80% identity),
but as fas as I know the split of eukaryotes and prokaryotes took earlier place
than the split gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
                                            ""

1) What exactly WAS this protein?
2) Was it developmentally assocaited in any way?

I ALSO cloned and subsequently came across the sequence of a gene that showed
affinity to Gram +ve bacteria above that of  E.Coli. The gene was clearly
related to B.Subtilis. The gene was cloned out of Aspergillus nidulans,
a "lower" filamantous fungus. HOwever, no mammalian representatives
have been cloned to my knowledge. The Aspergillus gene is implicated in
the development of spores. It appears (mRNA) in the ealriest phases of
initiation of spores development.

Yet it is a "mere" metabolic-style enzyme.

Does anyone elkse have anything to contibute to these curious findings of
myself and Andreas?

Win Hide
Laboratory of Molecular Systematics
Smithsonian Institution
Washington D.C

20560
Hidew at simsc

" "AS AN ADOLESCENT I ASPIRED TO
LASTING FAME...I CRAVED FACTUAL CERTAINY, AND I THIRSTED FOR A MEANINGFUL VISION

OF HUMAN LIFE -- SO I BECAME A SCIENTIST.  THIS IS LIKE BECOMING AN ARCHBISHOP
SO YOU CAN MEET GIRLS. (M. Cartmill)."