Out of Asia?

Mickey Rowe rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 26 12:52:01 EST 1991

In article <1991Nov25.173528.5682 at cco.caltech.edu>
     morphy at cco.caltech.edu (Jones Maxime Murphy) writes:

>robison at ribo.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
>

>>	There is a blurb in today's (Sunday's) Boston Globe that a Christy
>>Turner from Arizona State University

>Hey, she's from Arizona, the state that just voted to ignore Martin Luther
>King Jr.

I'm certain that this will have no effect on Jones, but for the
benefit of any one who cares about rationality I'd like to state

a)  ASU is a huge campus that pulls in people from all over the world,
so to assume that a person currently working there is "from Arizona"
is a bit of a stretch.

b) The state did not vote to have Martin Luther King Jr. ignored, they
merely voted against having another *paid holiday* for government
employees.  Though some certainly had a racial motivation, editorials
at the time, and the later impeached governor's (eek that's a
different subject) arguments indicate that the major motivation for
choosing not to officially sanction Martin Luther King Jr. day was
economic.

I guess those were each worth about a cent...

Mickey Rowe     (rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu)