Out of Africa: keeping up with the Jones

Mickey Rowe rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu
Sun Nov 24 15:46:27 EST 1991

In article <1991Nov21.232810.27072 at cco.caltech.edu>
     morphy at cco.caltech.edu (Jones Maxime Murphy) writes:

>In fact, Larry cited this very fact when he used the fact that Afro-Americans
>had been used as "Africans" to question the Wilson study. According to you,
>I guess Afro-Americans should be sampled alongside native Americans.

My memory isn't perfect, but I doubt that Larry would have said
something quite like that.  In any case, to quote from the SciAm
article (pg. 110) that began this brouhaha:

        Even a modest trickle of genes can produce great effects if it
     continues long enough.  A classic example is that of African
     Americans, who today derive on average 30 percent of their gene
     pool from people of European ancestry.

In short, I doubt that African Americans are suitable for use as
either population.  C'mon Jones, stop trying to muddy the waters.

Mickey Rowe    (rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu)