Not politically correct

GGUTMAN at VMSC.OAC.UCI.EDU GGUTMAN at VMSC.OAC.UCI.EDU
Mon Nov 25 11:11:00 EST 1991

     I, too, have been following the discussion on the geographical
origins of humans with considerable interest, and have been offended by
the nature of some of the postings.  But I have also been somewhat taken
aback by the recent references to Jones Maxime Murphy's attitude as
being "politically correct".  There is nothing "correct" (politically or
otherwise) about racist or otherwise offensive comments.  It seems to me
that this term is becoming a highly charged buzz-word, with little
descriptive content, which is used more often than not simply as a term
of abuse of one's political adversaries.  Unless I am being
"semantically incorrect", perhaps it, too, is a term we would do well to
avoid in these discussions.

* George A. Gutman                                            *
* Department of Microbiology            Tel:(714)856-6593     *
*          and Molecular Genetics       FAX:(714)856-8598     *
* University of California              BITNET: GAGUTMAN at UCI  *
* Irvine CA 92717                                             *