TIME TO CALL A HALT!!

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Tue Nov 26 17:00:31 EST 1991

> I wish to comment on "Jones" and the Out of Africa Debate.
> I refer to his filp "look at me everyone" comments. I have been prompted
> to repond by his comments on research performed in Arizona.
>
> I wish to publicly state that anyone who uses geographic location as
> a yardstick to evaluate the validity of research clearly has little to
> add to a scientific discussion.
>
> He appears to be more concerned with making political statements. FIne.
> Go make them. Quit trying to thinly veil them as science.
>

> Win Hide
> Laboratory of Molecular Systematics

I refrained to date from getting involved here because the readers
seemed to be counteracting the flames, but this discussion is going
too far.

It's actually NOT fine for anyone to go ahead and spout off on topics
that are ranging far afield from MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION in this forum.
These newsgroups are set up for specific purposes and people subscribe
to this one because they want to engage in discussions about molecular
evolution.  They don't want to waste their time on unrelated subjects.
If abuses occur which result in an exodus of readers, I personally
will ensure that technological steps are taken to shut the offenders
off at the source.  This kind of thing would never have even made it
past the editors into a letter in a professional journal, and these
newsgroups should be held in similar regard by their users.  Jones and
others can go to non-bionet USENET newsgroups where they may flame on
politics and race to their hearts' content.  PLEASE DON'T DO IT HERE.

				Sincerely,

				David Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager and BIOSCI Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net