evolution, evolution...

Keith Robison robison at ribo.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 8 08:17:24 EST 1991

taub at hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu writes:

>Do you think so?   Maybe.  Does that mean that the definition and concept of
>evolution will change when we discover a non-genetic living system?  :-) I
>know none exists that we know of, but we *will* find one.

	A non-genetic living system?  If we define genetics as the inheritance
of information from progenitors which can be transmitted to offspring, then
how could you have anything that fits anyone's idea of living without having
it engage in genetics?  Or that it could evolve by any mechanism?
	To put things another way, if there did exist a non-genetic living
system, how would you ever recognize it?  (The offspring of such an organism
would have no resemblance to their parent except by chance).

>Frank Yue
>Howard Hughes Medical Institute
>taub at hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu

This posting <> flame.

Keith Robison	G1
Harvard University
Program in Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology