GRE questions

L.A. Moran lamoran at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 13 15:59:51 EST 1991

Jbishop at pomona.claremont.edu asked about the following questions on the
Biology GRE;

     70.  All organisms that share a gene pool are grouped together as:

          A. genus
          B. species
          C. deme
          D. community
          E. clone

I agree that answer "C" is the most reasonable. The question is ambiguous and
discriminates against the brightest students.

     60.  In interrelationships among animals the greatest competition
          occurs between:

          A. Members of the same species
          B. Males competing for a female
          C. Members of two different species living in the same location
          D. Predators and their prey
          E. Members of young and old generations of the same species

I don't know what the "right" answer is but it is certainly NOT "B"! If this
question was written by a biologist then that person should be ashamed of
himself/herself for not knowing the difference between an animal and a
mammal. I would like to ask the perpetrator to explain "males competing
for a female" among coral, earthworms, oysters, nematodes, Daphnia and many
other kinds of animals. This question also discriminates against the best
students (ie. those who know that not all animals reproduce sexually).

Laurence A. Moran (Larry)
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Toronto