molecular drive

Mark Yandell myandell at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Tue Nov 5 22:11:00 EST 1991

Does anybody out there know anything about molecular drive?
While it is pretty obvious how homoginization and fixation
can occur with biased conversion, G.A. Dover explicitly states that
the same process will occur even if the conversion is UN-biased

While I can see how in such a situation that homoginization
would still occur, I do not understand how molecular drive
in such a situation can act to fix a new mutation in a population.

To the extent that I understand his argument, homoginization
results in a small variance for the trait in the population
regardless of the frequency of the trait(mutation) in the
population and then(HERE IS WHere I AM MOST CONFUSED)
the particulars of the population such as mating structure
,etc. act to fix the mutation in the ABSENCE OF BOTH SELECTION
AND GENETIC DRIFT!!

Anyone out there care to enlighten me?
.

:wq