Out of Africa

Jones Maxime Murphy morphy at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Nov 19 18:06:18 EST 1991

> > I need no lectures from you or anyone else on putting my brain in gear. I
> > *am* a Negro and not entirely unacquainted with racial slurs.
> >
> > I am amused that *you* find my comment offensive.
> > Jones
> >

> Your remark would still be considered offensive by many people, whether *you*
> think so or not.  Bruce Roe's comment is by no means a "lecture".  It is simple
> common etiquette.  The racial background of the writer should not be a factor
> in deciding what is offensive.  The rules should be the same for everyone.

They should. They're not. Focus your gaze on the racist miasma that continues
to poison research on human origins, and not on pious hand-wringing. I myself
am well past the point where "nigger" causes me offense.

Racial background is a very important factor in *all* aspects of my life in
the United States,as it is for all other poor black people. It would be
hypocritical to pretend otherwise.
Jones