question

JBISHOP at POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU JBISHOP at POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU
Mon Nov 11 13:30:00 EST 1991

From:   POMONA::JBISHOP       9-NOV-1991 20:06:38.07
To:     IN%"evolution at irlearn"
CC:     JBISHOP
Subj:   question

I was reading through the most recent edition of the Barron's study
guide for the Biology GRE, and couldn't but think that most of the questions
relating to ecology and evolution are really open to personal interpretation.
In general I ind many of the questions ambiguously worded, but here's one
that seems to go against my personal teaching.  I wanted to see what other's
thought about it.

70.  All organisms that share a gene pool are grouped together as:

A. genus
B. species
C. deme
D. community
E. clone

The answer they give is B.  "A gene pool is all of the genes in a population,
and a population in the broad sense is all of the individuals in a species.
Generally speaking, individuals of the same species can interbreed, thereby
sharing genes with one another."

It seemed to me that the term gene pool ought to be more restrictive,
implying more a population actively interbreeding.  In roughly this sense,
I thought the term deme was more applicable.  Opinions?

This one too:
60.  In interrelationships among animals the greatest competition occurs
         between:

A. Members of the same species
B. Males competing for a female
C. Members of two different species living in the same location
D. Predators and their prey
E. Members of young and old generations of the same species

They say B.  "Members of the same species compete with one another more
than with members of another species because intraspecies needs are the
same.  Within a species the greatest intensity of competition occurs
between males competing for a female.  Usually the period of intense
sexual activity in male mammals occurs at specific seasons and is called
rutting."

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with their explanation, but
does it necessarily follow from the question?

Take this private if undergraduate interpretive problems don't seem to
interest the group.

Jbishop at pomona.claremont.edu