sources of mutations: why does DNA change?

kuento at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu kuento at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:44:54 EST 1991

With all of the traffic that this list has been generating
about molecular clocks lately, the mechanisms of which have
not been stated (aside from implicit coding error changes),
I have been wondering about what the mechanisms are that
cause the mutations that cause DNAs to evolve (meaning both
at the genotypic and at the phenotypic levels, and not meant
to confuse the two ideas, as has been accurately pointed out)?

What types of environmental sources of genetic change are there?
How do these effect themselves in the genome?  What about the
idea that mutations in different areas of the genome not only
cause different rates of evolution, but are conversely caused
by different mechanisms?  Do you know of any good review articles
that address the idea of how DNAs evolve?

It's kind of prosaic, but at the same time, to understand it is
essential to clarify our discussions.

Thanks for your input.  If you feel so inclined, I would appreciate
the reference citations to be emailed directly to me, so as to
reduce online clutter.

--
------(please include "JDB" in subj header of mail to this user)------
Jim Danoff-Burg     (Snow Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045)