Query about long stretches of sequence identity

Kay Hofmann KHOFMANN at cipvax.biolan.Uni-Koeln.DE
Fri Sep 27 04:01:43 EST 1991

In <CMM.0.88.685908696.kristoff at genbank.bio.net> kristoff at GENBANK.BIO.NET writes:

> I was asked a question yesterday that I could use your collective
> expertise in answering.  What is the longest stretch of sequence
> *identity,* not just similarity, known between the mouse and bovine
> versions of the same protein?  Data on this issue using other species
> of "similar" evolutionary distance would also be of interest.  I'd
> appreciate a supporting reference if available.

I would like to add the identity of CNS Myelin Proteolipid Protein (PLP)
from mouse and bovine brain.
The first 187 Amino acids are identical, they have a total of 3 exchanges
(2 of them conservative) over 276 residues.
A fourth exchange, the Tyr88 in the bovin sequence as published in
MYPR$BOVIN(Swissprot) is extremely likely to be an sequencing artifact and
could not be confirmed in our sequencing work. The original sequence had been
obtained by Edman degradation and Glu88 is conserved throughout all species
studied so far, including amphibia and birds.