Virus evolution

Brian Jones jbj at frc.maf.govt.nz
Mon Sep 9 15:30:48 EST 1991

I'm looking for references to current theories on the evolution of
viruses and their relationship with their host. How do viruses evolve
or, if their evolution is thought to be slow, where do pathogenic
strains come from (I know about Fred Hoyles' space theory!). Also, are
there any cases of virus infections affecting the behaviour of a protozoan?
What I have in mind here is a virus affecting the virulence of a protozoan.

Any references or comments gratefully received. The library here  has no
virology journals - but I can interloan papers I know about.

Thanks,  Brian Jones  (jbj at frc.maf.govt.nz)