Query about long stretches of sequence identity

Donald A. Lehn donnel at helix.nih.gov
Fri Sep 27 08:52:19 EST 1991

In article <CMM.0.88.685908696.kristoff at genbank.bio.net> kristoff at GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:
/>I was asked a question yesterday that I could use your collective
/>expertise in answering.  What is the longest stretch of sequence
/>*identity,* not just similarity, known between the mouse and bovine
/>versions of the same protein?  Data on this issue using other species
/>of "similar" evolutionary distance would also be of interest.  I'd
/>appreciate a supporting reference if available.
/>
/>Thank you all in advance!
/>
/>				Sincerely,
/>
/>				Dave Kristofferson
/>				GenBank Manager
/>
/>				kristoff at genbank.bio.net
/>

Just off the top of my head I would suggest looking at Histone H3 and
Histone H4. I believe they are 100% identical between mice, men and
cows.

--
Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D.                      Phone: (301) 496-2885
Bldg.37 Rm 3D20                            FAX:   (301) 496-8419
National Cancer Institute / NIH            Email: donnel at helix.nih.gov
Bethesda MD 20892