molecular clocks

Tom Schneider toms at
Mon Sep 9 10:01:33 EST 1991

In article <9109070212.AA19281 at> tomh at BAMBI.CCS.FAU.EDU (Tom Holroyd)
>The thing is, can you ever observe constant genotypic variation?

Of course.  The FNR binding sites resemble CAP sites closely.  The two have
been compared using information theory (Eiglmeier, Molec Microb
1989 3(7): 869-878).

>I still wonder about totally neutral mutations.  What would be an example?

The regions far away from all binding sites.

>How do we know a large proportion of bases are silent?
Maybe they guessed?  Maybe the third base of codons (which is not completely

>Tom Holroyd
>Center for Complex Systems
>Florida Atlantic University
>tomh at