genome sizes and number of genes summary

Joe Felsenstein joe at GENETICS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Aug 25 18:23:08 EST 1992

Tom Schneider, in the midst of his posting on genome sizes writes

> that the genome size is 4673600, while the number of genes is 3237.
> This gives:
>     Rfrequency = log2(4673600/3237) = 10.5 bits per site.

What does Rfrequency do for you?  Is it intended to measure the potential
information content per site?  I would have thought that would be
2*(4673600/3237) = 2888 bits per locus, or 2 bits per site (counting the
four symbols A, C, G, T as equally frequent).

I guess I should have been reading the information theory group.

 Internet:         joe at     (IP No.
 Bitnet/EARN:      felsenst at uwavm