Evolution is not progress

Mr. EuStress jcr at milton.u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 18 20:13:12 EST 1992

Una Smith writes
> 1. Life . . .
> 7. Culture (in the sense of human culture)

  This increase in complexity is only an increase in
  volume -- like complex speaker-to-microphone feedbacks.
    Evolution is CURRENTLY progressing because the
  volume of life (over billions of years) is increasing.
  Billions of years from now -- evolution will die out.
  And what currently is -- won't be.
    The science fiction writers would be correct if
  evolution were tangent to our era rather than cyclic.
    Because reality (life) is cyclic -- the immortality
  of our culture (or anything else -- larger things
  living longer) is just not possible.