Thu Jul 9 20:56:00 EST 1992

tolman at (Kenneth Tolman) <9207092212.AA19642 at>

>  I am intersted in understanding the fundamental nature of chance in
>mutation.  What specifically causes mutation?  If you know any good references,
>please tell, everything I can find only talks about what the end result is
>of the mutation (base change, inversion, etc).

>  Where does the chance arise from?

>  Is it possible for a single photon to induce a mutation?  If so, this would
>be a prime place to witness chance- for the actual photons absorption is
>dictated only by the probability distribution of QM.

>  Where else is it directly evident that chance performs evolution?

I was taught that the chance (= random?) nature of mutations is in relationship
to the needs of the organism.  This is classical Neodarwinian dogma, but serves
as a good null hypothesis (to a fair approximation).

Other realms of evolution in which chance operates would include:

        1) Genetic Drift
        2) Random (Catastrophic) Extinctions

Jerry Learn
| Dept. of Botany & Plant Sciences      |       LEARN at UCRVMS.BITNET     |
| University of California              |       learn at       |
| Riverside, CA  92521                  |       (714) 787-3543          |
| USA                                   |       FAX: (714) 787-4437     |