Mutation

Kenneth Tolman tolman%asylum.cs.utah.edu at cs.utah.edu
Thu Jul 9 17:02:55 EST 1992

  I am intersted in understanding the fundamental nature of chance in
mutation.  What specifically causes mutation?  If you know any good references,
please tell, everything I can find only talks about what the end result is
of the mutation (base change, inversion, etc).

  Where does the chance arise from?

  Is it possible for a single photon to induce a mutation?  If so, this would
be a prime place to witness chance- for the actual photons absorption is
dictated only by the probability distribution of QM.

  Where else is it directly evident that chance performs evolution?

Thanks,