What Genomes have been Sequenced?

Loren I. Petrich lip at s1.gov
Thu Oct 8 19:50:50 EST 1992

	The subject should be self-explanatory. And if sequences are
not available, what about maps of all reading frames?

	I know that some virus genomes have been sequenced in their
entirety, something made easier by viruses' small size.

	I presume that _Escherichia coli_ would be a good candidate
for being the first self-contained organism (that is, not a virus) to
be completely sequenced. Has it been done? And if not, how much of _E.
coli_'s genome has been sequenced or mapped?

	I bring this up because of recent news of the complete
sequencing of a yeast chromosome, #3. This chromosome was found to
have almost no genes previously known, many of the with obscure
functions (deleting one of them had no effect, except when the yeast
cells were put in some hot acetic acid (or something)). The team
stated that the job for the others should be done late in this decade.

	Anything on the favorite lab nematode (_Caenorhabditis
elegans_), or the fruit fly, or even the human genome?