What Genomes have been Sequenced?

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Oct 9 07:47:41 EST 1992

>In article <1992Oct9.005050.11581 at s1.gov>, lip at s1.gov (Loren I. Petrich) writes:
>>	I presume that _Escherichia coli_ would be a good candidate
>>for being the first self-contained organism (that is, not a virus) to
>>be completely sequenced. Has it been done? And if not, how much of _E.
>>coli_'s genome has been sequenced or mapped?
>>
>>	I bring this up because of recent news of the complete
>>sequencing of a yeast chromosome, #3. This chromosome was found to
>>have almost no genes previously known, many of the with obscure
>>functions (deleting one of them had no effect, except when the yeast
>>cells were put in some hot acetic acid (or something)). The team
>>stated that the job for the others should be done late in this decade.
>>
>>	Anything on the favorite lab nematode (_Caenorhabditis
>>elegans_), or the fruit fly, or even the human genome?

There have been several viral genomes completely sequenced.

Sequencing of E. coli is about 50% done and C. elegans is about 1%
finished.

My understanding to the yeast chromosome III result was not quite the
same as yours. There are many genes identified that had great
similarity to other known genes. However there was also a large
percentage of the predicted coding regions that had no match with the
existing sequence databases. I believe the percentage of coding
regions with no similarity was around 40%. This is similar to the
percentage of EST sequences from human brain as well as C. elegans
that have no similarity to the sequence databases.

Mike Cherry