What Genomes have been Sequenced?

George Martin gmartin at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Oct 9 21:13:06 EST 1992

In article <1992Oct9.233031.18754 at scic.intel.com> sbradley at scic.intel.com (Seth Bradley) writes:
>In article <robison1.718663846 at husc10> robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
>>sbradley at scic.intel.com (Seth Bradley) writes:
>>>Two human chromosomes have been sequenced.  The Y and the smallest of the
>>>remaining ones (can't remember its designation).
>
>>Sigh.  If only it were true. Unfortunately, Y and 23q have only been
>>mapped into a complete set of cloned DNA fragments.
>
>I reread the article, and you're correct about the sets of DNA fragments.
>However, it was Y and chromosome 21, not 23, if anyone cares :-).
>From the October 3 issue of Science Digest.

This is also referenced in this week's _Science_ or the issue which
arived in Socorro, N.M this week; it is the issue which starts a new
volume.  The paper which presents one of the chromosomes is in this
issue.  I think that the article which mentions both chromosomes (in
Science) said the other paper is in _Nature_.  I forget which issue it
was.

The summary article which mentions both papers had a headline/title
which include a phrase on the order of 2 down and 22 to go.  Took me
a minute figure out why 23 - 2 was 22 :-)
--
George Martin
Systems Analyst                     NRAO/VLA                  Socorro NM
Internet: gmartin at something.aoc.nrao.edu
"Skating away on the thin ice of the new day."  (Ian Anderson)