significance of alignments

lizvanp at ento.csiro.au lizvanp at ento.csiro.au
Wed Apr 21 11:31:52 EST 1993

I have an alignment between two proteins which covers a region of about 100
residues. The proteins I am comparing are 200 and 240 residues in size, and
the region that aligns has 31% identity, but only 20% similarity (according
to MaxHom, EMBL at Heidelberg). Also the region that aligns contains a
residue which is involved in the active site, but one of these proteins has
no alignment in this particular area. Can anyone give me some idea whether
this level of similarity has any real meaning?  Cheers Lis
Lis van Papenrecht
C/O Div. Entomology, C.S.I.R.O.
Box 1700 Canberra A.C.T. 2601
Australia  (lizvanp at ento.csiro.au)