Steven J. Gould

CR TURVEY C.R.Turvey at bradford.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 04:50:01 EST 1993

RAYMOND MATTHEW PILON (pilora at saturn.wwc.edu) wrote:
[cut]
: I'm refering to your misunderstanding of the soul as an ethereal version of
: yourself--the old ghost in the machine or spook in the box concept.  This
: idea is completely foreign to the Bible.  Let me show you.
[cut]
: When people die, that's it, they are dead.  Eccl. 9:5,6  "For the living
: know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further
: reward, and their memory is gone.  Their love, their hate and their jealousy
: have long since vanished;  never again will they have a part in anything
: that happens under the sun."  No souls in pergatory, no roasting in hell, no
: ghosts, no channeling, no reincarnation!
[cut]
: A brain, full of life, functions as a mind.  Kill the life, and the mind
: ceases to exist.  The brain rots away.  The mind does not go on existing in
: some ethereal, mystical way.  No mind, no thinking, no feeling, no nothing.

: See, the Bible comfirms what you always instinctively knew.  The dead are
: dead and gone.  You only have life when you are alive.  You do not live on
: after you die.

Are you a Jehovah's Witness? I have only heard them expouse this idea
before and so am wondering if there are more varieties than them who
hold to this.

: Sincerely;
: C. Allen Roy

P.S. What's with the 300 foot .sig? Geessh
Cheers,
	Colin

crturvey at bradford.ac.uk
"FUCK OFF! I get so sick of every new moron who comes in here saying the
same things. Atheism isn't a religion. Get a clue, read a FAQ, shut up."
-K.Allegood, Alt.Atheism, Article 54488