Corn as evidence of macroevolution (Doebley, Iltis,

bishopj at bishopj at
Thu Dec 16 22:00:08 EST 1993

In article <2eqpdd$kt5 at> bishopj at

> then it would seem important to the debate.  Since the two lineages are
> different genera, it might also fit in with definition found in Futuyma's
> Of course the amount of difference it takes to make two taxa different genera
> depends on the taxonomic group, the biases of the taxonomists, and in some
> cases can be based on very little genetic change
I've had it pointed out to me that maize and teosinte are the same species.  I
never thought I belonged in a botany department.

John Bishop
Department of Botany
University of Washington, Seattle
bishopj at